Need some good advice and tips to get hangover recovery going in the right direction? Here are some of our tried and true hangover tips to help you get back on your feet:
- Eat before you drink. Nothing fuels a hangover more than drinking on an empty stomach. Having a substantial snack or light meal prior to drinking will start you off on the right foot in hangover prevention.
- Keep a proper mindset. Going into the night with the intent to get drunk practically guarantees a hangover. Begin the night with the intention to drink responsibly and you’re less likely to go crazy with the drinks.
- Substitute nonalcoholic drinks in between alcoholic ones. Alternating between water and alcoholic drinks will help you stay hydrated and will lower your chances of consuming too much liquor.
- Rehydrate. After a night of drinking you’re left dehydrated, which makes for some painful hangover symptoms. Replenish fluids with plenty of water, fresh juices and electrolyte packed drinks like Gatorade or Coconut Water.
- Rest up. Your body will need a break to prompt a swift recovery. Being that alcohol disrupts sleep patterns, it is also likely that you’ll be in need of some extra rest. Stay in bed until you start to feel better.
- Seek over the counter relief. Drugs like Ibuprofen are a quick pain fix when used as instructed. Be sure not to over use these pain relievers as excessive use can be damaging to the stomach, liver and kidneys. Also try a little Alka-Seltzer. This drug store cure will help lower stomach acid and relieve nausea.
- You can eat a greasy meal if you are feeling queasy. The fatty acids in greasy foods will coat your stomach and could provide relief. Watch out for spicy foods however as these could have the opposite effect.
- Work it out. If you have the energy to get moving, a little exercise has been known to keep hangovers at bay. Physical activity may also distract you from your hangover symptoms until you start to feel better.
If you have any tips for hangovers not included in this list, please leave them in the comments section below.